Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Surprise gift: Hard work pays off for dishwasher; customer gives him 1972 Chevy Nova

By Carol Hopkins 
As a regular customer at Bryan’s Neighborhood Coney in Waterford, Frank Kinnison has gotten to know the staff, including a 19-year-old dishwasher named Robert Haines.
Out of the blue recently, Kinnison, a fan of older cars his entire life, surprised Haines with a gift of a lifetime — a mint-condition 1972 Chevy Nova.
“He’s a hard-working kid,” said Kinnison, 57. “He works at two restaurants. He works his rear end off. I admire him.”
Said a grateful Haines, “It still hasn’t sunk in, to be honest.”
Kinnison has been a customer at the restaurant on Elizabeth Lake Road for the past six months.
Just over a year ago, Kinnison purchased the bright orange Nova, a car he calls  a “hot rod.”
“It was just sitting in my garage,” he said.
Kinnison collected diecast cars all his life.
“My wife was a doll collector and I admired old, old cars,” he said.
In 2007 Kinnison was in a car accident and nearly died. He credits his wife, whose nickname was “Squeeze,” with helping him recover.
“I’m like a cat with nine lives,” said Kinnison, who now walks with a cane.
Sadly, Cheryl died in March 2009.
“I miss my wife more than anything,” said Kinnison who now often has his breakfast at Bryan’s Coney.
One recent morning Kinnison said he turned to Haines, and said, “I’m going to give a car away. Come and get it in 20 minutes.”
Haines remembered his reaction.
“I said, ‘Oh yeah.’ ”
Then Kinnison said a short time later, “Rob, you’ve got 10 minutes.”
Bryan Marotz, Haines’ boss and the restaurant’s owner, told Haines to go with Kinnison.
“’We’ll cover for you,’” Haines recalls his boss saying.
Haines drove over to Kinnison’s home and the older man had the Nova’s title out ready to sign.
Haines signed and went out to the garage and got the car.
“(Kinnison said) just take care of it,” Haines said.
Haines — who just got his driver’s license about eight months ago — said his father had older cars.
“I’m not the most knowledgeable but my dad is teaching me,” he said. “I’m going to learn now.”
The young dishwasher sounds thrilled to own the sporty-looking car, which he estimated is worth $20,000.
“It’s gonna stay in my garage and not know what rain is,” he said.
Haines did hope he could drive the car in this year’s Woodward Dream Cruise.
“I’ve never had anything given to me. (Kinnison) is one great guy.”
Kinnison is positive he made the right choice in selecting the Nova’s new owner.
“He works six days a week,” Kinnison said. “He deserves to have this car.”

Contact staff writer Carol Hopkins at 248-745-4645 or carol.hopkins@oakpress.com. Follow her on Twitter @waterfordreport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oakland County, Michigan


Ed Noble has been a car enthusiast his entire life. From the 1950s' on Woodward Avenue to writing automotive reviews for The Oakland Press Wheels page, car cruising is a summertime event he looks forward to each year. Ed will write new vehicle reviews for The Oakland Press and also provide some cruise news and other related information.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]