Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mr. Sznaider's fast times

In days long ago Woodward Ave was the place where young hotrodders spent their week evenings. Among those who lived the life was Bernard  Sznaider.
Bernard had one of the fast "Hemis" on the street in the mid-1950s' here is a little vignette of those times from Bernard.
If you have a good Woodard story form those days write it up and include a picture in jpeg form and send it to me at fasteddie4u@gamil .com
 

In 1955 there was a Hot Rod Club in Birmingham MI called the Road Barons. They had cool jackets with a red 32 Ford coupe in the crest on the back of the jacket. At the time I had a gray primer 32 Ford coupe and wanted to join the club because of the cool guys, with cool cars, and of course cool jackets. There was a 49 Merc, a 50 ford, a 51 Olds Covertable, and a 55 Chevy, with a tri-power and Mag-spark. So I join the club, and we held meetings at the  Cadillac dealership in Birminghm lunch room at night once a month,of which is now  a Mercedes dealership at that location. Well, one day they had a meeting, and I couldn't attend because it was about me, and I'm wondering, what the heck did I do? Well after the meeting, I was told that I couldn't be a member any longer, because the by laws said that you had to be a resident of Birmingham, and I was from Pleasant Ridge. Although one member said that he came to my defense and said, I think Bernard should stay, because he's the only one with a Hot Rod and what's a Hot Rod Club with out a Hot Rod. Yes, it did look cool parked along side the building of the  Cadillac dealership. Well recently I had Speedy Tees of B'ham reproduced the jacket, Crest, and all. I framed one and presented it to the Owner of the Hunter House, Susan Cobb. The reason why, is that members of the club use to hang out there in 1955.  When asked one why is it thatt hey hung out there, when there was Dan's Drive In, later called Dan's Big Town, and of course the Totem Pole in Royal Oak MI. The answer was. that this restaurant is in Birmingham, and we give them our business, because we're from Birmingham also.   Also, I've commissioned artist Mike  Difazio to do a poster of my 1947 Plymouth Racing a 1940 Willy's in front of the Hunter House, with a girl in front dropping a hankie to start the race. It is now in a two page center fold in this months issue of Cruis' News Magazine Bernard
Here's what Susan Cobb had to say: 
 
Hi Bernard !!
 
It was so great meeting you the other day and receiving your gorgeous framed Road Barons jacket for Hunter House!  I also received the photo today from Mike DiFazio and it is just my favorite picture EVER!!!!  I love that you had the idea of putting Marilyn Monroe, etc, in the window -- Wow -- we just love it !  I was wondering if you would give me Mike's phone number so I can get a 2nd poster to hang in Hunter House.  I would like  a copy of the poster for the restaurant -  I would really like to hang this special one in my home with my other Hunter House collections, and purchase another poster from Mike for the restaurant.
THANK YOU AGAIN for all you have contributed to us this week - wonderful memorabilia from our past! 
 
Susan

My 47 Plymouth Business Deluxe Coupe . Was built in Canada, and is a business coupe with a back seat and a Chrysler straight six from the factory. It now has dual carbs and headers.  Converted from Deluxe(D) to Special Deluxe(SD), such as (SD) streering wheel, windsheild molding, and radio grill. Has front disc brakes, full moon hubcaps , Moon tach, half moon headlight covers. bull nose hood trim, blue dot tail lights, Cherry Bomb mufflers with exhaust comming out before the rear wheels. Good paint (black), chrome, and interior (red and gray vinly). Radio converted to AM-FM. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oakland County, Michigan


Ed Noble has been a car enthusiast his entire life. From the 1950s' on Woodward Avenue to writing automotive reviews for The Oakland Press Wheels page, car cruising is a summertime event he looks forward to each year. Ed will write new vehicle reviews for The Oakland Press and also provide some cruise news and other related information.


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]